1944 Born in Oranienburg near Berlin
1963-69 Studies painting at the School of Fine Arts, Berlin.
1973 Establishes a permanent studio in Finland.
1975 Founding member of the international group Systhema.
1982 Fellowship by the Hand-Hollow-Foundation of George Rickey (East Chatham, NY), spends study period in the U.S. Grant from the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Commission) Participates in National Gallery’s, Berlin, exhibition Homage to Barnett Newman.
1984 Awarded TetraPak Art Prize. Receives grant from the Foundation for Art, Bonn. Receives the Prize for Fine Art from the citizens of Mülheim.
1985 Appointed professor at the University of the Arts in Berlin.
1986 Completes The Medial Section, a 12-part largescale sculpture for the Spring Hill Site Projects, Virginia.
1989 Installs in the Synagogue in Oerlinghausen the environment Hommage á Otto Freundlich.
1990 Participates in Ambiente Berlin at the Venice Biennale.
1993 Elected Member of the Akademie der Künste Berlin. 1994 Work period in New York City. Creates in cooperation with Katsuhito Nishikawa the Walk in sculpture for the Art Cologne.
1997 Farben sind Taten des Lichts (Colours are deeds of light), an installation with works on paper in the St. Petri church in Ystad, Sweden. Participates in the L.A. International Biennial, Los Angeles.
2003 Visiting Professor at the China Academy of Art, Hangzhou.
2007 Visiting Artist at the Georgia State University, Atlanta. Lives and works in Berlin and Finland.